Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Different Mothers Day

So I always have high expectations for Mothers Day thinking it is going to be the best day ever and that my kids are going to behave so perfect and my husband is going to treat me like a Queen and then I realize that I am living in a Fantasy World and I need to come down to the Real World ... or Reality. So I did have a pretty good mothers day. I got to sleep in until 9:30..... I woke up to my kids saying "Mom can you help us wrap your present?" So funny! Waking up at 9:30 did not give us alot of time to celebrate and get ready for church. So we had a quick breakfast of Danish Rolls and Watermelon and the kids gave me a few presents (that I picked out because Matt had a crazy weekend...details later). So of course I loved my presents because I picked them out, but they did make me some very sweet cards... ALL ON THEIR OWN. So the morning got hectic when my kids started fighting and we were in a rush to get ready for church. I finally took some deep breaths and told myself that THIS DAY WAS NOT ALL ABOUT ME. And the reason I say that is because......

The Friday before, Matt's dad had gone into surgery to remove a tumor in his appendix and we found out that he has cancer. Even though it was in his appendix... it is still considered colon cancer. His colonoscopy looked great, and they removed the tumor... but they were still doing further testing to see if the cancer had spread to his lymphodes, which then in turn could spread all throughout his body. So Matt had had a really bad weekend. He was so busy with Student Housing and Carpet Cleaning and then this news with his dad. Things were just crazy. We were visiting Norm at the hospital, visiting with family, and Matt was researching on the Internet trying to find out more about it. So he apologized for not doing anything for me for Mothers Day. But I was understanding and just told him he could make it up on my birthday in a couple weeks. The kids wanted presents to give to me.... so I didn't want to dissapoint them.
So I decided to take the older 2 kids to church while Matt stayed home with the baby and that was actually a great gift. I got to sit and listen in church and my other 2 kids behaved great! So that was an awesome present in itself. Matt was so worn out.... he needed some time alone. He gets really anxious and always thinks the worst. So his body was worn out physically and emotionally. Friday night at the hospital was really emotional for Matt... seeing his dad laying in a bed and just thinking what might happen. But they did give Norm a blessing... Matt and his brothers and I think that helped Matt to relax. But this news did kinda stir up things with our family. Matt is starting to accept it and letting things sink in. But the weekend was a little stressful waiting for the rest of the results. So after alot of praying and fasting.... we got the news on Monday that it has not spread to his lymphnodes or anywhere else they can see, but they are still probably going to do a few rounds of chemo.
So my dad all of a sudden was not about me, but about our family being together and praying for Norm.
I did decide to have a Mothers Day dinner at our house for Nan, so we could all get together and she could get a little break from the hospital, but around 6:00 PM Norm starting having heart issues. His heart rate was too high and they ended up having to transfer him to the ICU and give him morphine to settle him down. He is doing alot better now, but it was a little scary, so Nan was not able to make the Mothers Day dinner. So we just celebrated the rest of the moms.... me, Lynley, Brit, and Mandyand our families. It was still fun to get together and eat and hang out. I love family get togethers. So we talked about Norm all night and I think it helped Matt to talk about it.
So all in all, I had a great day, even though it was not what I imagined my Mothers Days to be like.... sleeping in till 10, a gourmet breakfast made, laying out by the pool, another nap around 3 and then a massage to put me to bed. WAKE UP JEN. THAT IS NOT REAL LIFE.
I love my kids and am so great to be a Mother, even though our lives are always GO GO GO! Motherhood and being a wife are my greatest joys!



Grandpa Norm, 5 years ago with Bozo,the family dog.

Me and Corey (7 yrs. old)

Me and Cade (5 yrs. old)

Me and Casen (almost 18 months old)

Me and the kids
Me , Corey and Cade
















No comments: