Monday, May 24, 2010

Corey's Fun Day @ School - 1st Graders @ the Drive-in Movie

Corey has been bugging me all week to get started on this project with her. The 1st graders were all suppose to make a drive-in car because they were having a drive-in movie today at school... as a fun last week activity. So of course we procrastinated till Saturday. I went and bought all the supplies on Friday and we started it Saturday morning and finished it Saturday night.

Daddy cut it out Saturday morning and attempted to spray paint it. We ended up getting in an argument over a 1st graders project. Men have to do everything so perfect. My thought was... they are using it for an hour of their day... the spray paint does not have to be perfect! Who cares if there are drips? So annoying! So I took the project over myself and it turned out just fine! Yeah there are some drips and some paint mess ups, but who cares?

So we had fun Saturday night... thinking of things we could add to it... windows, rims, license plate, sterring wheel that moves, rear view mirror, side mirror, windshield wipers, inside controls... like radio, tvs, speakers, A/C, a remote control. We made a pillow, a gas and break pedal, etc. It was fun getting creative and Corey kept telling me thank you. I think she was impressed with all our ideas and how it turned out. And Cade kept saying...." Mom I think you are obsessed with this project." What else were we going to do on a Saturday night? It took us about 2 hours that night. It was fun! I think Cade was secretly jealous and he wants one of his own. So I told him this week, we would make him a car too. And maybe we will just save it for 2 years until his 1st grade drive-in movie day.

It is funny because projects like this.... you just want to junk after they use it, but this one I kinda want to keep around so I do not have to do another one. But it is the actual time spent with that child making the project that is special and it is fun to see how creative they can get! So hopefully she has a fun day. She could not sleep last night because she was so excited for today!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

Very Cute! Corey will remmeber doing this and your right- it doesn't matter if it is perfect. In fact, it is probably better that it's not...then the kids will not always feel like things have to be perfect. My son Avery is SUCH a perfectionist. He gets sooo frustrated when he messes up on coloring or building Legos, etc. It is better to have mistakes and think is okay than to go throughout life getting frustrated.
Fun activity at their school. Ada dress as Belle today for Favorite Disney Character day.

Dan and Marsha said...

happy birthday jen i forgot i am sorry! remind me of the date, it's may what? hope you had a blast! i'm turning 30 this year, look at us all getting older and wiser!!

Thompson Family said...

MArsh,
My bday was Friday. Thats okay . The 21st. Birthdays are not as fun as they use to be.... getting older kinda lags, but I do have to admit... I love my age right now. I love my kids... my career as a mom, my hubby and my kids. I just do want to keep getting older and older.