Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Anticipated Greenville Mile

The Greenville Mile was finally here and I was nervous for Corey. I just know how anxious she gets for this race every year and how she just wants to do so well. I teasingly told her that she shouldn't have done so well last year because now she has expectations for herself. I tried not to talk about it Sunday night too much, the night before. We just got the kids in bed at a decent time and got her some good breakfast in the morning. This may sound silly, but I even had Matt give her a little blessing the night before because I could tell she was so nervous about it she was not going to be able to sleep. So he just blessed her that she would do her best in the morning and get a good night sleep.

So the morning of, she didn't eat much. This daughter of mine gets anxious. She so gets this from her dad! She took the bus to school and I told her I would see her there really soon to cheer her on. 

Before the Race......Ty and Corey




4th Grade Girls lining up for the race....Ready, Set, Go!

Running to the finish line!



Crossing the Finish Line

She did so awesome. She got 2nd place with a time of 6:34. I was just impressed with her time. Last year she got 3rd place and a time of 7:06. So I was just impressed that she beat her time of last year by 32 seconds. That was amazing in itself to me. I was so proud of her and I was hoping she was proud of herself too. Now she gets to move on and race at the Skyview track against other schools next week!

I talked to her later and she told me she was excited but she was bummed because her cousin Ryley got 1st again. But I told her that last year Ryley beat her by 20 seconds or so and this year she only beat her by 7 seconds. Then Corey told me that she was ahead of Ryley the whole race until the last 50 yard dash to the finish. Ryley pulled ahead and Corey couldn't catch her. Corey said that Ryley is a better sprinter than her and that she couldn't catch up. So I think she was bummed because she thought she was going to get 1st. I had a bunch of neighbors tell me the same thing.....that she was ahead almost the whole race and they thought she had it! 

I don't know where she gets this running talent because I am not a runner. Maybe she just has the determination! Or maybe she gets it from Matt. But I am glad it is over and that she can stop worrying about it. Now there is just next year to worry about! She is already talking about next year! What I thought was cool was that the first 5 place runners at Greenville were all soccer players. I also went and watched the North Park Mile because alot of Corey's soccer friends were running it and the first 7 place winners in their run were also soccer players. Alot of Corey's friends placed!


After the race...Casen Man
Splashing water...after the race!

After the race...with cousins!

No comments: