Friday, May 23, 2014

Cade's First Greenville Mile and Corey's Last Greenville Mile


So the dreaded day has finally arrived! Corey loves this day, but it stresses me out because I know how much it means to Corey. Corey talked about this day for a month before it happened. She was even talking about it so much, it was making Cade nervous and Cade does not really get nervous. This was Cade's first year he would be running the Greenville Mile. Corey didn't do any training besides soccer all year long. But a few nights before, she did start eating her pasta and she stayed away from sugar for a few days before the race and she was drinking a lot of water. This daughter of mine is very driven. She got 3rd place in 3rd grade, 2nd place in 4th grade and so this year in 5th grade she wanted to get 1st, but to get 1st she would have to beat her very fast cousin Ryley; which was going to be hard. Corey has great endurance, but it is the sprint at the end that gets her every time.

Well Cade ran first with the 3rd grade boys and he did great! He got tripped in the beginning by his friend, on accident. But he got right up and sprinted to catch up to the other boys that had already got a head start. He ended up getting 7th place. He passed a few boys in the end, on his sprint, and got 7th place. I am not sure of his time because they only read out times for the first 6 kids that place. But I am guessing he got in the 7:30 range.

Then it was time for the 5th grade girls. Oh and did I mention that our kids had quite an audience this year. Dad got to come this year and Grandma Christy and Aunt Em were also there watching. So the girls started the race and I don't know why, but I was so nervous for Corey I was SICK! I was nervous because I wanted her to do well.  Of course I wanted her to get 1st because I wanted her to be so happy for herself and accomplish her dream! And I also wanted her to well, so I did not have to hear her whine for the next 2 weeks about how terrible she did! UGGH! 

She told me that her friend Tyler and Brooklyn were in the front for the first half of the race and then when they turned around to come back, she took off and was in the lead, with Ryley not far behind. And so when I saw her come up over the hill, like I always do, she was in 1st, but I could not get excited yet, because last year, the same thing happened. She was in 1st and lost it in the end to Ryley. So I had to tell my sister and mom not to get excited yet either because it did not mean she was going to win. But sure enough, that last 50 yards, she held her speed. She sprinted even harder and her cousin could not pass her. SHE FINISHED 1st with a 6:35. (I know Greenville is not a true mile and that she probably runs a mile in about 7 minutes). But she did awesome. I was so thrilled! I wanted to jump up and scream and have a party, but I had to be humble and keep calm for the sake of those that did not get 1st or do very well. She was in shock and could not believe she had won. Ryley got 2nd with a 6:38 and TY got 3rd place with 6:49. Ryley even had a little asthma attack at the end that really scared me. But she was a good sport and congratulated Corey and came and took pictures with all the girls. 

I was so proud of her. She still is talking about it around our family, but she is very humble at school. She still can't believe she won. She came home that day with a sparkle! She was on CLOUD 9. She had accomplished her Elementary Dream!















































No comments: