Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Greenville Mile

 Warming up....Pep talk from PE Teacher...


 Getting Ready for the Race...the Starting Line




Corey's Friend Tyler.....Before Race Jitters...

And they are Off...


Ryley in front...then Tyler... then Corey.... and they are all from the same class.....you can see their Home Room teacher off to the side... Coolest picture!

Ryley coming in first...her brother Jaice running her in.   (Ryley is Corey' cousin)


Tyler in 2nd, and Corey in her yellow in 3rd. YEAH!




Crossing the Finish Line at 7:06... HOLY COW! Her fastest time ever!

Standing on her 3rd place marker!

1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners!

Pic with Cousin Reygan too who did awesome too! (She is still feeling a little sick after race)

Corey's cheerleaders!

Corey has been telling me about the Greenville Mile for the past month. She has been telling me how they have been practicing for it in P.E. So the Friday before the race, she wanted me to take her and her cousins down to the school to practice for the race. So we went down there and they had me time them. Corey got about 9:10 and Ryley got about 8:20. Then they wanted to time me, which was not pretty. But I did need to work out for the day, so I decided to try it. I got 9:12, but it was painful the whole way. I am so not a runner! And I felt sick the rest of the night...could barely eat dinner!

So the night before the race, I fed Corey some pasta and had her get to bed about 9:00. I wanted her to be rested for the race! Then in the morning, I fed her a light breakfast, so she would not get a side ache. Then as I was driving her to school, I had to give her a little pep talk....."Do your best...Do not worry if you do not get 1st.. No Tears. Some people are better runners than others...No Tears. Do your best! If your cousins or friends do better than you... No Tears!" So the race started and I kind of had anxiety for her. Is that weird?

Anyway...she did great! 3rd place out of about 40 or so girls. But when I saw her coming down the last stretch in 3rd place, I was thrilled. Ryley finished in 1st at 6:44, Tyler(her good friend) finished 2nd at 7:04 and Corey in 3rd at 7:06. What I was the most amazed at, was that she shaved off 2 minutes in 2 days because of adrenaline. That is crazy! So proud of her. It was a proud mom moment. And now she gets to go to another race in a week to compete with kids from other schools. Exciting!

I did stay around to watch some of the other races and was brought to tears a few times, watching the kids help the slower kids finish....running with them, cheering them on. It was so touching! Kids really can be so Christlike!

Our neighborhood kids all did really well too, placing in a lot of the races! Fun to see!

Not really sure where Corey gets her running skills from...definitely not me. Not sure if Matt is a fast racer! I guess we will have to have a family race and see!

1 comment:

Alison Daugs said...

Great running Corey! That's awesome! Ada and Avery ran their Mountianside mile the other day and we just spent today racing the Wellsville Mile with all the south end schools together. Addison ( with his team) ran about 12 miles along side all the races encouraging the kids. It is a HUGE event. My kids did great, and I love that all the schools work hard and exercise. Corey will be a good competitor in running if she keeps with it. Good job!