Friday, December 17, 2010

A Few Fun Xmas Activities

Along with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we have tried to fit a few other fun things in between. A few family things and a few things for mommy to get away and enjoy.

1. I got to go to the annual Relief Society Xmas dinner and program. I love to go. It is one of my favorite activities every year. I always love the dinner that I don't have to cook and the music. This year was pretty good too. The dinner was good and it was fun to sit at a table and catch up with the nieghbor girls. Then the music was sung by Jaynee in our ward and every time she sings I cry. She made my night. She really helps me to be able to feel the spirit. The program was done by a couple by the last name of Madsen who has just returned from a mission in the Holy Land. The slide show pics were interesting because I had never seen LIVE pics of the different holy places, but the presentation was a snoozer. It was nice to end the program with another one of Jaynee's songs. So I left feeling spiritually uplifted and ready to get on with the rest of my week. And I always love the decorations and the lighting too. It just feels so Christmasy.

2. I also got to go to the neighbors xmas party, which was just for girls. There were about 20 girls. We first went caroling to a rest home in Logan, which I have not done in a long time....caroling or visiting a rest home. It kinda made me sad to see the condition that the Alzheimers patients were in and the loneliness of the normal older people who are staying there, especially around the holidays. I really don't want to get old. Afterwards we went back to my nieghbor Beckys house for a nice Lasagna and salad dinner and cobler dessert. Super good and fun to talk to the neighbor girls and get to know them better. The most fun part of the evening though was the White Elephant Gift Game....always brings laughter. I ended up with a green thong and rolled up dollar bills, a chocolate candy bar, and a MR. Perfect Talking Picture Frame. Quite the gift. Fun to get away from kids for a night and hang with the girls.

3. Last Saturday we had our Ward Xmas party, which I was on the committee for and have been helping to plan for the last 2 months. We decided this year to go all out and do A NIGHT IN BETHLEMHEM THEME. Our family was in charge of the TOY SHOP. (I will post more pics of the other booths, once I get the pics from my nieghbor.) We were suppose to dress up as the time period, bring our families to pay our taxes (a canned good and a gift for a child), and eat a light dinner. Some of the other booths were the Water Well, the Meat Booth, The Fruit and Nuts Booth, The Cheese Booth, the Dessert Booth, and a few others. And ours was the Toy Booth.
We first had a short slide show of the different holy places in and around Bethlehem. Then afterwards, everyone ventured into the gym and moved around the gym getting dinner and visiting the booths. We all had to bring blankets to sit on too, no tables. Then at the end, they had the manger scene play, with musical numbers, which was special too.
Our family was in charge of the Toy Shop. We were giving out drediels, wood ornaments, wooden braclets, and wooden soilders and horses. We also had a few Games for the kids to play, that we made out of sheets of ply wood, like TIC-TAC-TOE, a Bean bag toss and a ring toss.
It really turned out well......different than just the normal dinner and a program party we have every year. Matt was not thrilled about going and dressing up, but he stuck it out. And Cade was actually sick that day,throwing up and we were not going to let him go, but he was SO SAD and it broke my heart, so we let him come as long as he stayed by me and helped me in the booth, instead of walking around and getting everyone infected. He really wanted to go and dress up and I didn't want him to miss that experience. It really helped us and all the ward members to think about what this time of year is all about. (And Casen would not keep any costume on except for that DONKEY HAT. He loved that. So he went as our donkey. )



4. We also decided to go and visit our grandparents graves in Wellsville, since the snow had all melted and to change out their FALL Wreaths with these beautiful Xmas wreaths. We really do miss them and know they are in a better place. But especially at Xmas time, all the memories flood back of Xmas at my Grandma and Grandpa Allans house when I was younger and it makes me sad. I love them and miss them all.

5. My kids just got done taking a 2 day, cooking class with their Aunt Teisha. Teisha has a Home Ec. Teaching Degree and has learned alot of fun stuff. The kids love it and they get to make lots of fun stuff with their cousins and other neighborhood kids. This time they made gingerbread houses, Nutter Butter Santas, Cupcake Reindeer, Marshmallow Snowman, and more. They come home with all sorts of treats.
6. And then lastly, Thursday night, I took my 2 older kids to the annual Pickleville Playhouse Elf Xmas Play. Matt does not appreciate plays, even though I tell him he would actually like this one and that it is a comedy. So I let him keep Casen home, so I could enjoy it better and not have to wrestle with an almost 2 year old. So I just took Corey and Cade. Cade loves it too because the main elf and our favorite character is actually the dad of one of his friends. He actually writes the play every year. It is a musical too and so current. The jokes are current and hilarious. They even got to sit on Santas lap before the performance began. Corey thought that she might be too big to sit on his lap, but she wanted that free candy cane. And Cade was so excited to sit on his lap, but froze up when Santa asked him what he wanted for Xmas. He could not think of 1 thing that he wanted, but his Real Xmas list has like 40 things on it. It was so cute! They loved it and came home telling Matt all the funny fart and poopy jokes that were in the play. It is one of my favorite things to do at xmas time and one of these days I will get Matt to come with us. I am not sure if he really hates plays or if he just doesn't want to pay the extra money.
Looking forward to Xmas and now I have alot to do, from wrapping presents to getting my xmas cards out to more family xmas parties. Exciting. And I also have to remember to take it easy and keep this baby in my belly for 6-7 more weeks.































1 comment:

Jaimee said...

We went to that play on Monday night for FHE - it is such a great play and always love them! We like to go to the one's in Bear Lake when we're there in the summer's too! But this was our first venture to the xmas one and it will become an annual thing it was so good! Awesome Santa too :)

Love all your post's and hope you guys had an awesome Christmas - now onto the new year :) BTW I totally understand that feeling of just wanting to be done being pregnant but since this is your last one, cherish every second b/c you won't get the experience again and trust me one day you WILL miss it!! Hang in there you are doing so good and look amazing :)