Wednesday, January 22, 2014

First Ski Outing with 4 kids and MOM


My kids have been bugging us to take them skiing this year. There has not been a lot of snow, so we have been holding off. And it is always hard to find a Saturday to go because our weekends are filled with sports games and daddy working. But Corey's 5th grade ski trip is coming up and she wanted to go up at least once to get her GROOVE BACK! So the kids had a Monday off, for Martin Luther King Day, so I decided to be brave and take all 4 kids up by myself! 

It was the most beautiful day! Almost HOT! I just kept the two little boys over on the Magic Carpet hill. Luckily Casen picked it up within 2-3 runs and was kind of on his own, so I could work with Crew. The hill is really short, so they kids probably went down it like 40 times in a 3 hour period. I walked up and down the hill quite a bit, with just my snow boots, so my calves were pretty sore the next day. I also rode the magic carpet a bunch of times with the boys. But Crew was really picking it up well too by the end of the day! It is so fun to watch them learn something new at such a young age! I love it! I am not a skier, but I still kind of know the basics. I still need to learn to ski too! 

I let Corey and Cade go on Little Beaver a few times and then they got bored and wanted to go on the other lifts. So I let them as long as they waited for each other and met me in the lodge in an hour or so. So when it was time for some lunch and a snack, we went in the lodge and sat for a bit and ate. And the kids did end up finding us and everyone was SAFE! YEAH! I also saw about 5-6 families I knew from our neighborhood and from Crossfit. It was fun to see familiar faces and they were with all their kids too. I wasn't the only one alone up there with kids! 

After a snack and a quick break, the older two went up the mt. again and I took the little boys back over to the magic carpet. We lasted another hour or so, and then Crew started to get cold and tired!  We met up with the other kids and made it back to the car....after some tears from a tired Crew and some major sweating trying to carry everything back to the car. When we got on the road, after a successful day alone with the kids, Crew was asleep within 5 minutes. He was pooped! 

A few funny things....Crew wanted to ride the magic carpet up alone, so a few times, when I tried to ride behind him, he would say..."No mommy." He wanted to ride alone! So funny!
And Casen tried to go through some trees, feeling a little too confident and got stuck. I had to go and dig him out in some deep deep snow! I was sweating! I sweated so much with just my sweatshirt on that day, trying to help the boys, that I bet I lost like 10 lbs. in water weight!
And Crew also got going too fast and pummeled into a lady ski instructor teaching a little girl to snowboard. No one was crying and no one was hurt, but the lady was a little put out that I didn't give her some warning. LAME! Their just kids. It was an accident! Mommy couldn't run that fast to catch him!

Other than the normal things that happen with kids on outings, the day went rather smooth and it was fun!












No comments: