Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Love the Holidays, But Missing FAM

So this time of year.....Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and all the wonderful smells and decorations and change in weather really get me excited. They also help me to get through the dreaded LONG winters here in Utah. Come Feb. and March I get really burned out of the winter and am so ready for spring.

But anyway, after Halloween ended this year....I got a little sad. Sad because me and my sister Em are the only family here in Utah now and sad because my family (minus me and Em) are all spending Thanksgiving and Christmas together and I can't travel because I am pregnant. I am sad because I need a family fix with my mom and dad and siblings. I guess Thanksgiving this year is just my family and Matt's parents and it just seems so small. And Christmas has alot more to get excited about with MY OWN LITTLE FAMILIES TRADITIONS, but I still am really missing my family right now. I am too afraid to travel, because of my pre-term labor scare with Cade and I hate being away from my doctor and our hospital......and traveling is expensive with all the kids now and driving 14 hours is not fun with a huge belly and crying kids. So I am stuck here in Logan for the next couple of months. I keep trying to tell myself I will get to see my family alot in the coming year when I have the baby and afterwards, but it just seems to far away. My sister Em in Utah has to work alot and she is 2 hours away, so it is not like I get to see her all that much either and then when the weather gets nasty here, neither of us feel comfortable driving in the snow. So winters get long.

I think what it is....is that I am pregnant and emotional and need the support of my sisters and my mom. I am even getting emotional writing this.....I love the sister weekends where we go out shopping or go to the craft shows or just make fun desserts here at the house, watch movies, talk, etc. And I know my mom loves stuff like that....she loves holiday outings and traditions and really gets into the holidays like I do. Matt is NOT so excited about holiday stuff, so I feel like I do alot of stuff alone or stuff with him and the kids, but he is not enjoying it.

Anyways, just wanted to vent....Love the holidays, but also miss my family. It reminds me of the college days, when the seasons would change and I could not wait till the semester was over so I could go home and enjoy the holiday with my family. Usually I am OK around the holidays, but I think being prego is just bringing out the emotional side and I have just been wishing I had my family close by.

And to top things off this morning....I kind of had another break down because of Corey....I was reminding her about dance today and she whined and said, "Mom don't sign me up for dance next year." I got sad again, because there goes my little girl out the window...slowly growing up and turning into a tomboy. Why can't she like frilly things like tutus and skirts and dance class? I guess I better just pretend I have a family of boys and quit feeling sorry for myself. Sorry, JUST VENTING! Maybe if I go shop a little I will feel better!

4 comments:

Mandy said...

You always have me Jen! If you need a girls day out I'd be more than happy to spend the day with ya. Or if you need a break from the kids give me a call. I'm always here for ya. Get feeling better. I love you!!

Jaimee said...

Me too - I TOTALLY feel for you. It's so funny b/c as I was reading this it's like I know exactly what your talking about and feeling! My family lives far away and I don't get to see them much either! And the holiday's are great b/c of getting together w/them! It's our year to stay here in Logan for Christmas and spend it w/Brian's family so I'll be around if you want to hang out or need a shopping buddy ;)

I did want to mention have you or your family thought about doing one of the holiday's at your house? That's what we're doing this year, I'm hosting it b/c my sis in Vegas can't afford to travel all the way to Washington this year so we're meeting in the middle at my house! I know being prego makes it hard to host but you would have your parents and sister's to help w/the cooking and cleaning!! Anyway just a thought! I'm sure you've thought of it already!

Don't forget to call me if you ever need anything I'm just the next street away ;-)

Thompson Family said...

Thanks Mandy....I might take you up on that, especially if I can't snap out of this depressing mood. It just seems like the more kids we get, the busier we all get and it is harder to get together....

MARNIE HAMMOND said...

Jen I am right there with you. It is so hard to be away from family especially for the holidays and not having family around all the time to see your little ones grow up sucks. Everytime someone in my family comes out for a visit, I get home sick for a few days after they leave.